This course is intended to help researchers get to grips with the many options for research computing that are available to support research at Edinburgh. This course gives an overview of our key computing resources, organised by research lifecycle stage, and some helpful general information, tips and links to further help for each resource. For example, have you thought about how you will manage the research data lifecycle through to deletion?
This course will be useful for all new recruits, and may be a helpful overview and refresher to those already using some of these resources as the latest offerings are included. Resources such as those in the “Plan and Design” and “Organise and Store” stages can be used to enable remote working with your research data in a suitably secure manner.
It may be helpful to review this course alongside the Research Computing Funding Checklist if you are considering which services to use for any new grant applications.
Free or paid for:
The course is free to use for any staff or student at the University of Edinburgh. The costs of the resources referenced in the course vary and, for large scale needs, it's always worth discussing ahead of time with the service owner as bulk discounts may be possible.
- Online learning delivered through the Learn system
- Downloadable Certificate of Completion
- Support from IS Helpline
- Health Professions
- Immunology and Microbiology
- Life Sciences
- Computer Sciences
- Biochemistry, Genetics and Molecular Biology
- Pharmacology, Toxicology and Pharmaceutics
- Log-in at https://www.learn.ed.ac.uk
- Select Self-Enrol at the top-right banner
- Select Self Enrol CMVM Courses in the Course Catalogue menu
- Hover over the course id zu_cmvm_research_computing_ind and click the down arrow that appears, then click Enrol
- Navigate back to My Learn (see banner) where the course can be accessed from the section "Courses where you are Student"